When Ontario went into lockdown in the spring a lot of couples found themselves spending more time with their significant others than they had ever before. For me, Baby T had just started going to bed at 8 which left a couple of hours for my husband and me to spend together every night for about six weeks. We’re very social people so this was a bit of a change for us to be home alone together every night. We found some fun new ways to spend our time together and it honestly brought us a little closer together. So today I’m going to share some of those and don’t worry this Blog Post is not rated R.
1. Games – The options for two-player games are endless whether it’s card games, board games or two-player video games. Our personal favourites are Monopoly Deal (a 15-minute version of monopoly that you can buy on amazon), cribbage and Mario Smash Brothers. The key to making the fun last with these is having mini-tournaments. Each night we did best out of three games with Monopoly deal and we kept track of who won the entire time we were in lockdown. Unfortunately, my husband won but I’ll get him next time.
2. Movie Night – We had a lot of movie nights. We’re not big movie people, but when you have that much time on your hands you become movie people. We watched some old movies that we both like and finally got to watch some newer ones that we had been meaning to watch.
3. Wine/Beer/Whiskey Tasting – This actually didn’t happen for us but I think it will definitely be on our list of things to try. Buy a few different mini bottles of whiskey, cans of beer, or bottles of wine and try them out.
4. Cook a Fancy Meal or Order One In – We can’t make a lot of noise in our kitchen when Baby T is sleeping because her room is right beside the kitchen so we didn’t do a lot of cooking after she went to bed, but we did postpone our dinner some nights and order in a fancy meal just because. Our favourite was a giant three-course pasta from a local Italian place, I’m kind of getting hungry just thinking about it.
5. Evening Stroll – This wasn’t something we could do after Baby T went to bed but we did go for lots of walks together as a family once the weather started warming up, and if you don’t have a baby evening walks are nice too. You could maybe even take a little drink with you in a mug or a flask whatever floats your boat.
6. Start a new TV Series – There are hundreds of shows to choose from and some providers were nice enough to release even more when everyone was on lockdown. We definitely went through quite a few including The Office for the 100th time.
7. Zoom Party with Your Friends – Even though it was nice to spent time as a couple, we missed our friends a lot. Before COVID and even before babies we had the tradition of going to Boston Pizza on Thursday evenings for a few drinks and appetizers so we kept up the tradition, at the same time on a Thursday night we would gather around the zoom table with a couple of beers and some snacks. We even got creative on playing some games together virtually.
The future still seems a little uncertain and in my opinion, another lockdown may be looming for us over the winter, so stock up now on games, movies, tv shows, whiskey, beer, wine and make sure your iPads or laptops are fully charged for zoom. Being stuck in a house with only those in your household doesn’t have to be the most boring thing in the world and doesn’t have to involve doing the same thing every night for weeks on end. In the grand scheme of things, this time will seem like such a short period in your life and one that everyone had to take a step back and simplify things in their lives. So take a step back, sit in your home with your loved ones and beat their asses at Monopoly Deal.